Vacancy: Part-time General Assistant
City Music Foundation, a charity offering career development and management to emerging professional musicians (mostly classical, some jazz), is seeking a part time General Assistant to start immediately for a fixed term appointment in the first instance.
We are looking for someone educated to at least degree level with a real knowledge of and passion for classical music (and jazz, if possible), and an ability to research and write well about music, for instance for programme notes or CD liners. The post-holder will be involved in all aspects of the two-year CMF Artist Programme, supporting the Director, the Artist Manager and the Communications and Events Officer.
Excellent research and writing skills are essential, and accurate proofreading, as well as familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel, and Canva if possible. Experience of posting on Word Press websites would be an advantage. The appointee will need to be available to attend events which already have scheduled dates, including evenings. Communication is central to the role, face-to-face, by telephone and email, and the post-holder will need to be confident and effective in these skills. The work will be independent, but supervised by the CMF team. Accuracy and attention to detail is a key requirement.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible and to work 16 to 20 hours a week in the first instance. This is a fixed term post for three months and would suit someone pursuing a career in classical music.
To apply email Dr Clare Taylor at email@example.com with a CV and covering letter.
Reports to: Dr Clare Taylor, City Music Foundation Managing Director
Assisting: Clare Taylor, Latana Phoung, Fleur Chaffé
Deadline: 5th May 2021
Working for Managing Director
- Researching and writing programme notes and CD liners
- Formatting programme layout (using Canva software if possible)
- Writing some news items for newsletters and website
- Sending emails and letter to lists of people – maybe for fundraising or other purposes
- Contacting artists and fixing dates for workshops and mentoring
- Taking minutes at Board meeting and writing first draft
- Updating fundraising databases, mailing lists, gift aid lists etc
- Updating Mailchimp mailing lists
Working with Communications and Events Officer
- Adding news items to the website (WordPress)
- Adding individual artist events to the website
- Ongoing research into new/current listings locations
- Adding listings to various platforms for upcoming events/concerts
- Liaising with artists to keep biographies up to date
- Proof reading
- Social media support when necessary
Working with Artist Manager
- Proof-reading biographies and saving the latest ones in the cloud.
- Completing contracts with the information provided + saving them in the concerts folder when signed and completed
- Issuing invoices
- Gathering information from the artists: latest biography, sometimes pictures…
- Saving material onto the Cloud in the appropriate folders
- Keeping track of the artists’ upcoming performances (creating a spreadsheet which could be used by all of us)
- Reporting to team if our website is not up to date.
- Recordings: gathering material from the artists (chasing them up if needed)
- Attending day time and evening CMF events as scheduled
- Physical help with staging, lights, music stands, programmes, tickets, ushering etc
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Canva.
Required skills and attributes
- Confident and articulate telephone manner
- Excellent researching ability
- Excellent writing skills
- Accurate proofreading
- Smart ‘front of house’ manner
- Part Time
- Fixed term 3 months initially
- Remuneration : £21,000 per annum pro rata
- Hours – 16 or 20 hours per week, plus additional hours for evening events